12 Tips to Starting a Successful Online Business
So you want to start an online business? Well, welcome to the club! There are millions of people around the world just like you that dream of starting up a small business online, to either make a full-time living, being their own boss and quitting their day job, or just making some nice extra cash on the side. And with the economy being like it is these days, for many people making money online is their only resource.
Starting a business online is easier than ever. It’s not like the old days when you had to have some technical knowledge to get a website up and running and market it. Today if you want to create a website the process has been made so easy that even a computer novice can have pretty good results on the first try. Marketing a site still takes some know-how though, and that gets more complicated all the time.
A better route is to go through an online resource that does most of the work for you. Sites like Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, and other online auction and sales sites take care of the marketing and the online presence, all you have to do is provide the product or service and upload the details to their site. And of course ship the item once it sells.
One of the best opportunities online is selling and dropshipping wholesale merchandise through distributors like Kole Imports. You sell the merchandise on sites like those mentioned above, or on your own site, and Kole Imports will ship the items to the buyer for you. This takes a lot of the work and responsibility out of the equation, and it can be quite lucrative.
Whatever route you decide to take with your online business, there are still some start up business tips that apply to whatever endeavor you choose. Here are 12 to get you started.
- Have a plan. Sounds like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many just jump in without a plan. A recipe for failure.
- Get started. It really is true that taking that first step is the hardest. Don’t worry and dawdle forever, just get started.
- Get help and advice. There are plenty of resources available online and elsewhere to help you get started. Use them.
- Track your cash flow. Use a product like Quickbooks to keep track of your expenses and profits.
- Network with others. Join some forums dedicated to people like you. You’ll find lots of help and some welcome camaraderie.
- Don’t give up too easily. Too many people quit as soon as things get tough or they experience a setback. Stay in for the long haul.
- Manage your time. Easier said than done for a lot of people. An online business is time consuming, but you have to have a life too.
- Set priorities. It’s easy to get bogged down worrying about one thing while letting more important things go by the wayside. Prioritize your efforts.
- Take some risks. Don’t play it too safe, sometimes you have to take a calculated risk. But don’t go wild either.
- Sell what people want. Not just what you want to sell. It’s easy to get stuck in that mindset. Do the homework, and find out what’s selling.
- Use all your marketing resources. Put the power of social media to work for you, and let people know what you’re selling, and where.
- Keep your chin up. You really can succeed if you’re persistent and put in the work.